Today is International Women’s Day and this year’s theme is Equal rights, equal opportunities: Progress for all. Let’s honor the mothers, sisters, daughters and all of amazing Womyn in our lives.
International Women’s Day has been observed since in the early 1900′s, a time of great expansion and turbulence in the industrialized world that saw booming population growth and the rise of radical ideologies. Each year around the world, International Women’s Day (IWD) is celebrated on March 8. Hundreds of events occur not just on this day but throughout March to mark the economic, political and social achievements of women.
Organisations, governments and women’s groups around the world choose different themes each year that reflect global and local gender issues. Some years have seen global IWD themes honoured around the world, while in other years groups have preferred to ‘localise’ their own themes to make them more specific and relevant.
We have compiled a list of some recommended readers in honor of IWD:
- Feministing: Women are the solution
- Feministe: Blog for International Women’s Day
- FWD/Forward: Subverting the Narrative
- Daily Beast: Our Fight Begins Today!
- Huffington Post: A Time to Focus on Adolescent Girls
- New York Times: Three Proven Steps to Advance the World’s Women, on International Women’s Day
For more information, visit: http://internationalwomensday.com and for more blogs that are dedicating entries in honor of IWD or to add your own blog, visit: http://genderacrossborders.com/blogforiwd/directory.